Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Book and a Call for Contributors!!!

Dear Friends,

I will be writing my first jewelry-making instruction book with my good friend Lorelei Eurto! Yes, that’s right. Lorelei and lil’ ol’ ME! :) The two of us will be co-authors of an upcoming jewelry-making book for Interweave Press! I am just beside myself. This is literally a DREAM COME TRUE for me! I have always LOVED all types of jewelry-making books. I have tons of books in my beading library that I’ve been collecting for years. I’ve flipped through my books dreaming of my own book many, many times. I never thought it would happen this soon! I am so happy to be sharing this experience with a great jewelry designer and friend.

I don’t know if many of you know this, but Lorelei was the first jewelry designer to contact me when I entered the blog-o-sphere over two years ago as a new ceramic bead artist. She was the first to buy some of my ceramic pieces and the first to introduce me to the beading blog community. We have stayed in constant contact with each other since then and we have become close friends over the last two years. Lorelei has never let me down. She has always been there for me personally and supported me in all the different directions I’ve gone in with my bead-making and jewelry-making career. When I was a new ceramic bead artist, she supported me. When I changed my style and look of my ceramic pieces, she was right there cheering me on. When I found out I was pregnant, she was happy for me. When I announced I was leaving the ceramic world to pursued more of a jewelry-making career, she was again one of the first to support my decision and my change. I’ve always been able to count on her. She is a good friend. I am so happy and honored to have her working on this project with me and I can not think of a better person to be doing this with.

CALL FOR CONTRIBUTORS:
We want this to be fun and exciting for you as well! We are sharing this opportunity with all of you here in this beading community. We are looking for jewelry designers to contribute projects to our book! Yes, that’s right, YOU could be apart of this with us and have YOUR work “out there” and published in a BOOK and get paid for it!!! What could be better than that! We have chosen one contributor already, but we’ve decided to open the field up and give some others a chance to be part of this project. We are looking for one other designer, possibly two. If you are chosen to contribute to the book, you will be paid on a per project basis. We would like up to 5 projects from each contributor. Your jewelry designs and complete instructions will be printed in the book along with your name and contact info. You will also receive a free copy of the book when it is published. We are excited to be able to take an opportunity like this and share it. We hope you will be really enthusiastic about this upcoming book project! So, now you want to know what the book is about, right? Well here it goes:

ABOUT THE BOOK:
Title: A Jewelry Accord: 50+ Innovative Styles Using Leather, Lace, Ribbon & Cords
A fundamental jewelry-making instruction book with a focus on the use of alternative materials in beaded jewelry such as, leather cord, suede lace, waxed linen cord, cotton cord, silk cord, ribbons and other cords. This book teaches how to incorporate these materials into jewelry designs using basic jewelry-making techniques such as stringing, wire-wrapping, knotting and braiding.

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:

Do you enjoy using cords, ribbons or fibers in your jewelry? Would you be super excited and pumped to have your designs published in a book? If your answer is YES to these questions, then you could be who we are looking for!
There are some rules and requirements, so please read carefully.
  • Please US residents only. We are very sorry, we wish we could invite absolutely everyone. :(
  • We can not accept any projects that have been previously published.
  • Your projects must represent original work by you.
  • You must create your projects using basic jewelry-making techniques such as stringing, crimping, wire-wrapping, wrapped loops, knotting, simple braiding, etc. Think Stringing Magazine. Look through the techniques section to get an idea of what would be appropriate for this book. You may use more than one technique in a single piece.
  • Necklaces and bracelets only please.
  • Your jewelry projects must incorporate at least one type of cord or ribbon material in each design.
  • We encourage you to use various cord and ribbon findings to finish off your pieces such as crimp-style or fold-over style cord ends, glue-in style cord ends, cone findings, clamshells, knot cups, ribbon ends or clamps, etc. Please look around and see what’s out there on the market today for options.
  • We encourage you to use art beads and/or artisan made findings and jewelry components, if you want to, although this is not a requirement.
  • We also encourage you to try incorporating more than one type of cording material in a single piece. Try mixing suede lace with silk ribbon or linen cord with leather cord or whatever combination you can come up with! Have fun with it! Use your imagination and don’t be afraid to experiment with the materials! 
  • If you are chosen to contribute to the book, you will be responsible for supplying a complete materials list, list of tools used, complete instructions and a resource list for each of your jewelry projects.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING:

1. If you think you might be seriously interested in this opportunity, please fill out this form and send it ASAP.

2. Please join the Jewelry Accord Flickr Group and start submitting your jewelry designs that fit the above mentioned criteria. To be considered for the book, you must submit at least 1 jewelry design. You may submit up to 5 designs. We ask that any and all interested individuals to please have your jewelry designs submitted to this flickr group by December 1st 2010. Thank you!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email us. My email is in my profile. We are looking forward to hearing from you! Please feel free to spread the word on this CALL out! Happy Beading! :)

19 comments:

  1. Oh Erin I am so happy for you and Lorelei! This will surely be a beautiful collaboration and I can't wait to see what you publish!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Wonderful adventure! I am pretty excited for you both! What a Joy!! Have a wonderful day Erin as Lorelei said today is the day for Baby! ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! What a fabulous opportunity.
    Work hard and have a blast doing what you love (:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome awesome!! How exciting for you both, look forward to your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just became a Follower and want to congratulate you on your book endeavor! I'm sure you have lots of eager people who will buy it immediately, nice to offer something new to addicted people, you know they'll devour it! :) That would be me in the front row!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you and Lorelei..you both are fabulous designers so this book will be a must have.
    best wishes too for baby day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Fantastic news! I'm sure this will be one amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Erin. Best of luck to you and Lorelei. I am wishing you nothing but sweet success. And I can't wait to hear about your best creation yet... come soon, little one!

    Enjoy the day.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent news!!! Congrats! I hope to come up with some designs for your consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So super exciting! Congratulations! I hope to throw my cord into the ring for a coveted spot! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome news! congratulations! I filled out a contributor form--Pick me, pick me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Congratulations on your new book, that is amazing news, indeed! Plus, the arrival of your little one, good things happen to good people!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are giving birth to a baby and a book - so exciting!!!! Yay for you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Erin. You and Lorelei make such a great creative pair. Your book will be wonderful. I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Erin! You've got a lot of "new endeavors" taking on different forms! Best wishes for the birth of a healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Erin, I just read on Lorelei's blog that you had the baby on Wednesday. I hope you will deal well with the new hormones :)
    Can't wait to see pictures of yor sweetie, and I hope you guys are all fine and happy. Doesn't it feel like you just got pregnant yesterday? Time flies.
    So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very neat. But, wow! Only a couple of contributors means you've got some work cut out for you!
    -Kat.

    ReplyDelete

I live for comments! Please do share your thoughts...